ANSEP’s objective is to effect systemic change in the hiring patterns of Alaska Natives in science and engineering by placing our students on a career path to leadership.
Started in 1995 as a scholarship program for university students, ANSEP has evolved into a longitudinal education model that provides a continuous string of components beginning with students in sixth grade and continuing on through high school, into science and engineering undergraduate and graduate degree programs through to the PhD. ANSEP students at every level are successful at rates far exceeding national and state numbers. We provide inspiration, guidance, and opportunity for students from over 100 Alaskan communities. We have arrived at this model after 20 years of effort, with the awareness that a fragmented approach that focuses on one academic level is not adequate to deal with the scope of the problem and ultimately falls short.
ANSEP is more than 100 corporations, philanthropic organizations, state and federal agencies, universities, high schools, and middle schools.
ANSEP is nearly 2,500 Alaska Native middle school students, high school students, university students and ANSEP alumni.
- improves academic outcomes,
- eliminates the need for university remediation and associated costs for government and families,
- increases retention,
- saves students and their families up to two years of college tuition and living expenses,
- saves the state millions in government funding by reducing time to degree,
- allows students to earn up to 50 university credits for a baccalaureate degree while in high school